Students who take online courses need reasonable computer competence and Internet skills to be successful. Students should have daily access to a computer (preferably at home). Online courses also require a minimum time commitment of 10-15 hours each week of the quarter. Skills specific to individual courses may also be required; for example, proficiency with a word processing package may be needed for an online English course.
INSTRUCTIONS: There are specific computer software, Internet browser and hardware requirements associated with School of Distance Education at West Georgia Technical College. Read about the requirements and click on the Self Check below to practice what you just learned.
- Email account (must check regularly) - All WGTC students have been assigned student.email accounts. Click on http://www.westgatech.edu/Misc/StudentEmailInstructions.pdf to find out how to access your student email account.
- Internet Browser
Students need to know how to go to a particular web site, print a web page, use the "Back" and "Forward" buttons, and open several Internet browser windows at once and switch between them. DO NOT use AOL's Web browser to access your online course. ANGEL, WGTC's learning management program, works with Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 3x and you need to be able to use both browsers to work in ANGEL since some of the features in ANGEL work better in FireFox and some work better in Internet Explorer. Click on the following links to download the broswers.
- Internet Explorer 7 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9AE91EBE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en
- Firefox 3x - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html
- Internet Service Provider
Students must have frequent and dependable access to a computer with a reliable, high speed Internet connection. Dial-up connections do not work well for online learning. Students cannot use AOL's web browser to access WGTC's online courses. ANGEL does not work well in this browser.
- Media Downloads
Your instructor will advise you of the necessary media software needed for your course. Please click here for a list of media downloads and links to their we
You can download the free media players by clicking on the links below:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
- RealPlayer G2 - http://www.real.com/
- Macromedia Flash Player - http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
- Windows Media Player - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology
- Java - http://java.com/en/
- MacroMedia ShockWave Player - http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=Shockwave
- Apple QuickTime Player - http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
- MS Office2007 Compatibility Pack - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en#top
- PowerPoint Viewer 2007 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=048dc840-14e1-467d-8dca-19d2a8fd7485&displaylang=en
- Software Programs: Word processing software (most courses use Microsoft Word 2007) - contact your instructor. Some courses require specific software that is not required by all courses. You are responsible for obtaining and installing any supplemental software required for your course. Contact the instructor for specific requirements.
- Windows operating system (Vista, XP, 2000, NT, ME, 98)
Students need to know how to open, close, and save files. You also need to know how to create folders, minimize and maximize program windows, delete files, and install programs.
NOTICE: Some online/hybrid courses use books that require an "access key." Access keys may be purchased with new textbooks or directly from the publisher. It is your responsibility to check with the instructor of your online course to determine if an access key is required. Please do this before you purchase your books for your online/hybrid classes.
- Pentium/AMD/Athlon processor 1.0Ghz or higher
- 512 MB RAM - 1 Gig preferred
- 100 MB of free disk space (to install a browser if necessary, plus additional space for other programs if applicable)
- DSL modem, Cable modem
- Printer (laser or inkjet)
- CD-ROM (required for some courses)