Home | Staff Directory | Calendar | Site Map | Athletics | Employee Webmail

Federal Student Loan Program

Federal Student Loan Program Undergraduate Stafford Loans are fixed-rate student loans for undergraduate students attending a college or university that participates in the Federal Family Education Loan Program. Stafford loans can be used to pay tuition, and other eligible school expenses. Stafford loans are not based on credit, and they can be subsidized or unsubsidized depending on the student's financial need.

Subsidized Stafford Loans are federally guaranteed loans based on financial need. Interest does not accrue on the loan while you are in school at least half time, or during any future deferment periods. The federal government "subsidizes" (or pays) the interest during these times.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are federally guaranteed loans that are not based on financial need. Interest will accrue from the time the loan is disbursed to the school, but can be deferred until 6 months after graduation.

Undergraduate Stafford Loan Benefits

  • Low fixed interest rate, as low as 4.50%
  • Increased limits - up to $10,000 per year depending on degree status and years in school
  • No payments while enrolled in school

To apply for a Stafford Loan you must follow these steps:

  • You must fill out an admissions application and be accepted into the college.
  • You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA (for returning students).
  • If a student is chosen for verification, he or she must satisfy all financial aid requirements before the financial aid file is considered complete.
  • A student’s financial aid award package is determined annually and is based on the student’s current estimated family contribution, cost of attendance, residency, and other financial aid eligibility requirements. Once a student’s financial aid award package is complete, the student will be notified by mail or student email of his or her financial aid award.
  • After receiving notice of your financial aid award, you may apply for the Stafford Loan by completing the WGTC Direct Loan Request Form (available at any student affairs office) and returning the form so it is routed to WGTC Director of Financial Aid.

Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions

Click Here for WGTC Federal Student Loan Program Brochure

Click Here to Request Stafford Loan Information


Questions about HOPE? Click here

return to top