Veteran Services

In order to be certified with the VA each semester, you must notify WGTC’s Veterans Office that you have registered.  Send semester classes for certification utilizing the Veterans Benefits Form.  All veterans using military benefits must turn in this application to each semester before they can be certified with Veteran Affairs.

Should you need additional information, our WGTC VA Certifying representative can be reached at 678-664-0557 or

West Georgia Technical College is dedicated to assisting veterans meet their educational endeavors. All of West Georgia Technical College’s credit programs are approved for Veteran Educational Benefits.

VA education benefits are available under the following programs:

• Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill®* – Active Duty

• Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation

• Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill

• Chapter 35 – Survivors’ & Dependents’ Education assistance

• Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve


For more information on each VA education benefit program, please visit U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at”


How to Apply for Education Benefit

  1. If you would like to apply for VA Education Benefits, please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs ebenefits. Click on “Apply for Benefits” and use the VONAPP portal to fill out the online application. Once you have submitted the application and have been approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail in four to six weeks. You will need to turn in a copy of the certificate along with your DD-214 to the VA Certifying Official.
  2. If you do not receive a Certificate of Eligibility within that time, please contact the Department of Veteran’s Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.
  3. Request an official copy of your military transcripts. Note: Military transcripts are not mandatory for admission into the college but are reviewed for transfer credit. You can request transcripts for Air Force or  transcripts for Army, Navy/Marines, and Coast Guard.


Transfer Students

If you have used your VA Education benefits at another institution and you want to transfer your benefits to WGTC, you must complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form through VONAPP.

Once you have submitted the information to the VA, you will need to bring a copy of the form and your DD-214 to the VA Certifying Official.


Verify Your Enrollment

Chapters 30, 1606 recipients: Once you are certified by the VA Certifying Official, you must verify your enrollment with the Department of Veterans Affairs the last day of each month before you will receive your payment. To verify your enrollment, you can go to Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.



For specific questions regarding your VA Education Benefits, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or visit questions specific to your benefits, eligibility or payments should be directed to the number above. Unfortunately, we do not have access to this information and are unable to provide information specific to your benefit entitlement.


Also check the WGTC VA Benefits page.


What Is the Green Zone?

  • An initiative to support student veterans by designating locations recognized as a “safe place.”
  • Identifies faculty and staff throughout our college who are knowledgeable about issues faced by student veterans/family member and the resources available to assist them.
  • Participants are identified by a Green Zone emblem located outside their office door and/or on their syllabus.
  • A way to be supportive to those who have sacrificed for others.
  • Helps faculty and staff provide supportive services necessary to ensure that veteran students or veteran family member are successful in their academic pursuits, adjust to the campus environment and eventually transition to civilian employment.


Green Zone Team Members

Name CampusRoom Number
Volita AlmonCoweta222A
Teresa GarrisonMurphy2107A
Ivey GriffinLaGrange400B
Kim KelleyDouglas
Louis ShepardLaGrange
Cynthia ThomasCarroll113D
Lonetha ThompsonLaGrange400D


gavco logo    military friendly logo bronze   military friendly spouse logo