In order to be certified with the VA each semester, you must notify WGTC’s Veterans Office that you have registered. Send semester classes for certification using the WGTC’s Veterans benefits form. All veterans using military benefits must turn in this application to VAresources@westgatech.edu each semester before they can be certified with Veteran Affairs.
West Georgia Technical College is approved for veteran’s training under various programs. These programs are briefly described below. Check with the Office of Financial Aid prior to enrolling in a course to assure that a particular course meets current approval for VA benefits. Please call 678-664-0564 for information.
- Chapter 30 – Active duty educational assistance
- Chapter 31 – Vocational rehabilitation for veterans with service connected disabilities
- Chapter 32 – Vietnam-era veterans educational assistance
- Chapter 35 – War orphans (children/spouse of veteran with service-connected permanent or total disability or fatal injury)
- Chapter 1606 – Selective reserve educational assistance
For more information, please see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
How to Apply for Education Benefit
- If you would like to apply for VA Education Benefits, please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs ebenefits. Click on “Apply for Benefits” and use the VONAPP portal to fill out the online application. Once you have submitted the application and have been approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail in four-six weeks. You will need to turn in a copy of the certificate along with your DD-214 to the VA Certifying Official.
- If you do not receive a Certificate of Eligibility within that time, please contact the Department of Veteran’s Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.
If you have used your VA Education benefits at another institution and you want to transfer your benefits to WGTC, you must complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form through VONAPP .
Once you have submitted the information to the VA, you will need to bring a copy of the form and your DD-214 to the VA Certifying Official.
Verify Your Enrollment
Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607 recipients: once you are certified by the VA Certifying Official, you must verify your enrollment with the Department of Veterans Affairs the last day of each month before you will receive your payment. To verify your enrollment, you can go to Web Online Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.
For specific questions regarding your VA Education Benefits, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or visit U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Questions specific to your benefits, eligibility or payments should be directed to the number above. Unfortunately, we do not have access to this information and are unable to provide information specific to your benefit entitlement.
You can view answers to frequently asked questions at Veterans FAQ’s.