The Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is a long-term assessment plan that will provide an institutional course of action to improve student learning. While it is a requirement for SACS reaffirmation of accreditation, it affords West Georgia Technical College the opportunity to focus on one area that will enhance overall quality and effectiveness.
Through a comprehensive selection process over the last two years, WGTC’s QEP topic was proposed by LaGrange Campus math instructor Ron Murphy. The plan focuses on improving student learning in learning support mathematics. WGTC’s plan is titled “Reaching the Summit: Conquering Mathematics.”
Why Did We Choose This QEP?
- In FY 2011, 65 percent of WGTC students needing learning support (LS) were enrolled in math remediation courses, which took approximately three semesters to complete
- Student success rates in LS math and college algebra have declined over the last two years. The success rate for the highest level of LS (MATH 0099) averaged only 47 percent in FY 2010-2011; for MATH 1111, 66 percent
- Students who do not succeed in learning support cannot advance to college algebra, required for all degree programs.
How Will We Accomplish the QEP?
- Redesign three courses into one modularized course: MATH 0090
- Integrate ALEKS computerized instruction in math emporium labs
- Increase real-world problem-solving activities in MATH 0090
- Enhance tutoring and advisement services
- Offer faculty development opportunities:
- Computer-aided instruction (ALEKS)
- Problem-solving methods and assessment
- Learner-centered, individualized instruction
To improve student learning and success in learning support math and in the subsequent college algebra course.
- Increase the percentage of students who successfully complete the learning support mathematics course MATH 0090
- Increase the percentage of students who successfully complete MATH 1111 as a result of completing the emporium model learning support course
- Improve students’ problem-solving skills
- Enhance faculty development opportunities to improve student learning.
WGTC QEP Plan in PDF format.