To maintain integrity in the testing process of completely online classes, all online classes require that one test be taken as a proctored exam. A proctored exam is a test that requires the student to be overseen/supervised by an individual called a proctor. The proctor must be approved by the instructor well in advance of the exam. The proctor ensures the security and integrity of the exam process much like an instructor would in a face-to-face course.
This proctor verifies the identity of the enrolled student and matches them to enrollment in the online course as well as monitors the student during the examination. In addition, a proctored exam will help ensure that the exam is taken per requirement of the instructor to include restrictions on the use of other technology, resources or printed material not permitted for the exam. Students are required to take either their mid-term or final examination as a proctored exam.
Proctoring and Fee Information
- The cost and resources for the proctored examination is generally covered by WGTC.
- Most students choose to take their proctored exam in one of the campus libraries. However, the college has contracted with a proctoring service called ProctorU that may be used for those students that live well outside our instructional area.
- If using ProctorU, the basic fee is generally a free service for students with the cost covered by WGTC.
- The online student may have to pay a fee if the proctored examination is not scheduled in a timely fashion. If the Proctor U is not scheduled at least 72 hours in advance of the examination, a fee of $50 may have to be paid via credit card.
- As with other schedule services, available proctoring time slots may fill up for short-notice booking. It is in the best interest of the student to schedule their proctored exam early in the semester, well before the examination date.
- As an alternative, you may get approval for a proctored exam at an external site.
Using ProctorU for proctoring (optional) requires a webcam and microphone (for specifics, please check your BBLearn course room or visit WGTC ProctorU tutorial website.
How Do I Find a Proctor?
The proctor must be approved in advance. If the student uses an approved proctor, the student must find the proctor and have this person approved within the first two weeks of the term. The student must comply with any payment schedule that may be required by the approved proctor or testing center. The student must schedule the exam date and time with the proctor in advance of the testing schedule provided by the online instructor.
Who can serve as an approved proctor?
- An educator or librarian at any college, university and/or educational setting
- Librarian at a public library
- An officer of higher rank than the student, if military
- Staff member at a college or university testing center
A proctor must have Internet access for the student, printer, scanner or a fax machine if necessary.
NOTE: The student may be charged a fee by the proctor/proctor site.
What if I need more information?
- Check your syllabus and your Blackboard course page for more detailed information
- If you have additional questions, email your instructor.
- Remember that any fees for testing using an external proctor must be paid in advance and all arrangements necessary for testing (computer, internet, software and availability) is the responsibility of the student to arrange with the understanding that the proctor must follow the instructions provided by the instructor.
Proctored Exam Options
At WGTC, we have 3 proctoring exam choices:
- Make a face-to-face appointment using the library.
- Use ProctorU online (when applicable and you have a webcam and system requirements).
- Use a third-party proctor with prior approval from your course instructor.
Come to a WGTC Library. You must schedule exam at your preferred WGTC Campus Library location during the dates and times identified by your instructor.
Use ProctorU online proctoring. This process allows the student to complete the online exam using a webcam as long as you have the system requirements. With a computer and webcam, you can take the proctored test anywhere you have internet access. ProctorU monitors the student’s computer while the student completes the exam.
NOTE: The sessions is recorded for documentation.
Is this your first time using ProctorU?
You can watch the ProctorU tutorial, test your computer for compatibility and schedule your exam. Just click one of the buttons below.